Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Why?

One Week!  That's all that we have left.  It's not enough!

The week won't be enough time to say goodbye to our friends and adopted families here in St. Louis.  The extra handshakes, hugs, well-wishes, prayers, and tears from us and people here just feels rushed.

The week won't be enough time to finish all we need to do to get ready.  Donate all the leftover stuff from our moving sale, touch up the paint, clean the house, cancel the utilities, shove it all in the rig, and take off.

Somehow though, it'll all be done by next Wednesday...well except the tears.

Anyway, that day begins our new journey for real.

Why do we pack up our family in a metal box on wheels?  Why do we leave a steady job?  Why do we uproot?

See this picture...
That's why.  I see three things in this picture.  First the Sun, then my wife, then my boys...in that order.

First, my life is to honor and obey God (symbolized by the Sun).  God is calling my wife and I into a new ministry to parents.  I don't yet know how that's all going to play out...but I'm going.  We're by no means experts, perfect, or prepared...but I'm confident He'll direct us and equip us. 

Second, my life is to love, honor, and serve my wife.  I look towards our trip and time together as a perfect opportunity to do just that.  I'm not saying that every man should leave his job and be home with his wife all day, but for me, this is right.  I want to be near her, to serve her, to protect her, to support her, to encourage her, to lift her head, to work alongside her, and to love (verb) her.  Now my wife is by no means a weakling...she wrestles four boys every day (five including me)...and homeschools them on top of that...all while managing an endless list of things in and out of the house.  I've often referred to her as a pioneer woman (not that she'd ever dress a chicken...but she'd do it if the boys were hungry.)  She doesn't NEED me with her all day...but for me to be able to love, honor, and serve her fully, I NEED to be with her.  It won't always be easy...but then I'll apologize and we'll move on...HA!

Finally, my life is to lead my boys. Not only do I want to honor and obey God and love, honor and serve my wife, I want to model it for them.  I don't want what the world would consider safe and secure to become golden handcuffs that would keep me from being the dad God wants me to be.  I want to be there with them when they find a cricket, see a shooting star, ask why the sky is blue, figure out a math problem, and tell a funny story.  Now again, I'm not saying every dad should stay at home, but for me, for this time, this is my place...and I don't want to miss a minute.

You see, God in His amazing wisdom puts things together in amazing ways.  He took my dream for being a dad, husband, and child of God and melded it all together.  We are over-excited!

I'm not saying life will be easy, but it just fits.

Joshua 1:9 says, "Haven’t I commanded you? Strength! Courage! Don’t be timid; don’t get discouraged. God, your God, is with you every step you take."  

-Alan 

11 comments:

  1. Yes, this fits the Haigood family! Happy Trails and see you real soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, love this picture of your family!! You all will be missed so much!
    ~Sheri Slusser

    ReplyDelete
  3. YEAH! I am so excited for you guys. I cant wait to follow your adventures and see how the Lord works in the big and simple ways. Love you guys, and see you on the road!

    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Haigood Family,

    I just read your story off the Familyman Weekly e-mail. Just wanted to say that I'm proud of your decision to do this journey! Praying for your family and ministry efforts.

    Look forward to meeting you one day. In the meantime live the dream Dad!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just heard about your adventure from Todd Wilson, The Familyman. So excited for you (and fairly, significantly jealous!). I look forward to hearing about your adventures and following you "virtually" along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello. I don't even know you but I read about your story on Todd Wilson's email. I wanted to commend you for the very courageous thing you are doing. I'm sure some think it's foolish, but I feel it is very faith-filled. I trust the Lord will prepare the road/way in front of you as you keep your eyes focused on Him! I wish more people could experience what you are going to. Blessings to you, your wife and your precious boys!
    In Christ,
    Korri
    (fellow Christian, homeschooler and reader of FamilyMan!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So excited for y'all! I know it is hard to say goodbye to friends, I remember how hard it was when you moved from Conroe. Facebook and blogs are a wonderful way to keep in touch! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. God bless you all. I don't know you personally, but I too belong to WCCHE and attend Eagle Learning Center on Monday's at First Baptist Church of Ellisville. Your story sounds amazing -- I pray that you all have a safe, purpose driven, fun time on your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi,

    I saw your e-mail in Todd Wilson's "Familyman" message this week and clicked over to read your blog post. Congratulations on taking this bold step to follow God and lead your family. I, also a father to 4 homeschooled children, am seeking God's direction in how He might lead our family in a similar manner. Four years ago I quit my corporate job to "come home" and be with my family to try and start a small scale micro-farm. We were able to do it for about 18 months before the money ran out and I had to look for employment back away from home. I have been blessed by a part-time job (25 hours per week) these past 2 1/2 years with good benefits that has allowed me to still have more "home time" than most, but I yearn to be here and with them all more. I plan to bookmark your blog and check in to see how your adventure unfolds. God bless and Godspeed to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is awesome! We will be praying for you all as you start your new endeavor!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much for all of your encouraging comments and prayers! We need and appreciate each one! God's Blessings to you!

    Jill and the boys:)

    ReplyDelete