Friday, December 14, 2012

Austin Visit - The Capitol Building

During our stay at Lockhardt State Park, we took one afternoon to tour the State Capitol Building in Austin.  Our tour guide was quite humorous as he explained all the parts of the Texas government as well as the history of the building itself.

Can you see us on the front steps?

We were outside looking at the building when we noticed Caleb on top of a small ledge, frozen in place just like this:

He explained that he was being a "statue"! I think this is the stillest I have ever seen Caleb be in his whole life! HA!

Later on, Nathanael joined the act with his own "statue" pose.



Inside the main floor, look up and you see this spectacular view of the dome ceiling.

cool silhouette!

The door hinges inside the Capitol were the original historic hinges from the 1800s.  Just like the Capitol building and everything in Texas...they were BIG!


We walked up to the fourth floor to get a closer view of the ceiling.  The star you see at the top is actually EIGHT feet across!


We thought it would be fun to get a picture from the fourth floor of Alan and the boys on the main floor.  I have to admit, the height was a little too much for me.  I couldn't stand leaning over the railing to get the picture, so I just stuck one arm out over the railing with my camera in hand as my head and the rest of my body were leaning away from the railing as far as I could.  I held my breath and took this picture without looking!

Can you see Alan and the four boys?

Our brother-in-law James was just elected last month to the Texas House of Representatives.  So-we just had to stop by and see where his office will be starting in January.  We were amazed to learn that there are actually 4 floors built underground adjacent to the Capitol building. (2 floors are office spaces and 2 floors are parking garages).  We took the elevator to the 2nd floor underground level.  James - this picture is for you! We look forward to coming back next year to visit when you are in office.  We are so proud of you!


Overall, this was a GREAT visit. We all learned more about the history and government of Texas.  Our tour guide made it fun and interesting as well.  Oh- and did I mention, it was free?!? With four boys in the family, we really LOVE free field trips!

Blessings to you and yours!

Jill and the boys:)

No comments:

Post a Comment