Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Philadelphia, PA - Independence Hall, The Liberty Bell, The Franklin Institute & A Blast From My Past!!!


After we left Maryland, we headed back north towards Philadelphia, PA.  We stayed at a campground almost an hour drive north of the city.   Our first field trip was to visit Independence Hall.



Several historical events took place right here in the Declaration Chamber.  George Washington accepted his appointment by congress as the General of the Continental Army, and the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution of the United States of America were both adopted & signed here in this room...



After our tour, we visited the Senate Chamber of Congress. The second inauguration of George Washington as President of The United States was held here on March 4, 1793. He finished his official career there as well when John Adams was inaugurated as the second President of the U.S. on March 4, 1797.



This statue of George Washington stands in front of Independence Hall.  The plaque in the photo below is on the ground next to the statue.  Abraham Lincoln stood on that very spot in 1861, to raise the American Flag!


After visiting Independence Hall, the boys finished their junior ranger books and earned their badges. Next, we stopped by to see the Liberty Bell.   The bell was actually originally cast in 1752 in London, England. Unfortunately, it cracked soon after it arrived in Philadelphia.  John Pass and John Stow, (two local craftsmen), made a new bell in 1753, using the metal from the original English bell.  You can see their names on the front of the bell - (PASS AND STOW).  In 1846, a thin crack began to affect the sound of the bell, and attempts were made to repair it.  The bell was then rung again for a George Washington birthday celebration. The bell cracked again, this time towards the top. The bell has not been rung since and to this day, no one knows why it cracked either time.



The Liberty Bell hung in Independence Hall (known back then as the State House) and it was rung many times for public announcements.  The bell was first called the "Liberty Bell" by a group trying to outlaw slavery.  The inscription on the bell is from the Bible verse in the book of Leviticus - "Proclaim LIBERTY throughout all the Land unto all the inhabitants thereof" (Leviticus 25:10). The Liberty Bell became a symbol for their cause. After the Civil War, the Liberty Bell traveled around the country to help heal the divisions that were caused by the war.  It served as a reminder of the early days when Americans fought together for independence during the Revolutionary War.


I can remember visiting the Liberty Bell as a little girl many years ago. Back then, you could actually touch the bell. Today, however, the National Park Service has it roped off and a ranger stands guard to make sure no one touches it.  (The ranger is also available to answer questions as well.) Over the years as people have touched the bell, it slowly developed worn, smoothed spots on the outside.  It was decided that the best way to preserve the bell was to not allow the public to touch it anymore.


Our next field trip into Philadelphia was to the Franklin Institute.  We were very grateful that our National Museum Pass gave us a free admission! YAY!



Ever wonder what the inside of a heart looks like? We climbed through a huge heart and discovered the ins and outs of how our hearts function! Very cool!


We also learned more about the science of flight...



This exhibit featured athletes of all shapes and sizes. Micah got a "kick" out of the sumo wrestler!


The boys also tried out "surfing"...

and the science of racing...




There also was a rock wall for climbing...


Speaking of rocks, (that's a hint) we drove by this building (photo below) while we were in Philadelphia.  Do you recognize the steps from a movie scene??  This is a major "blast from the past"...


Here's another hint...."YO ADRIAN!!!!!!"

Yes...it was from the movie,  ROCKY!!! This building is the Philadelphia Museum of Art, and these steps are known as "The Rocky Steps."

On another note, we actually had another "blast from the past" during our stay near Philadelphia.  One of my "bucket list" goals is to visit all of my old childhood homes.   As I have mentioned in earlier posts, my Dad was in the army, and we moved around a lot.  I have always thought it would be fun to go back and see the places I have lived. Some of my earliest memories are from over 30 years ago when we lived at our house in Warrington, PA. (Just to share one of these early memories: This is the house where my brother, sister and I caught a real live mole in a toy mailbox and brought it in the house to show my mom! Yea...she just loved our surprise:)

So--all I remembered was the street name where I lived.  We were driving around using GPS to lead us there when all of a sudden, I looked out Alan's window and I spotted my old elementary school! I gave out a delighted scream, "THERE'S MY OLD SCHOOL!"   Poor Alan!!! He was driving the car and it completely startled him!:)

The school actually looks completely different than I remember. I think they must have done some remodeling over the years.


Although it had been over 30 years since I had lived there, and I did not have the house number, when we drove down the street, I recognized it right away!!!!  The white house with black shutters!! That was it!! We actually found it!!


Another funny memory I have while living here at this house:

One time as a little girl I decided that I was going to run away from home. (I think I was around 5 years old at the time and I was probably just throwing a fit because I got in trouble for something. I was quite a pill!)  So- I know I had seen cartoons and T.V. shows where one of the characters would gather up their belongings in a bandana and wrap it around a stick to carry over their shoulder like this...


To the best of my memory, I can recall doing this (with all sorts of drama) and heading out the door of this home down the very long driveway. I remember taking it very slowly, down the very long driveway, making sure everyone knew I was upset and I was running away.  Well... after reaching the edge of the very long driveway, I stood there awhile, changed my mind and came home:)

Be prepared to see a cheesy photo of me below...This is that very long driveway! HA! It's funny that it is a lot shorter than I remember:)


It was SO fun to see my old house and relive those funny memories with my boys!  I did actually meet the owner of the house, and introduced myself to her. She was nice, but did not invite me in...bummer! Oh well! I don't blame her though since I was a total stranger and I was acting a little too giddy to be there!!! HA!  At least I saw the outside!

Our last stop and visit down memory lane was to Friendly's Restaurant!!! I remember eating their delicious ice cream as a child! On one particular visit to Friendly's as a little girl, I actually ate the cone first and was left with a big scoop of melting ice cream in my hand!!  Oh my! My poor parents!!!


Thanks for letting me share my blast from the past with you!

Blessings to you and yours!

Jill and the boys:)



No comments:

Post a Comment